Wednesday, July 13, 2011

It ain't pretty but it's soap!

 My first batch ever of actual soap!
These pictures are pretty bad and I'll do better next time, but Houston, we have soap! It unmolded and cut like a dream. It smells awesome too!

 A big, beautiful, block of soap from the silicone loaf pan mold. This pan unmolds very easily. You just sort of pull it off the soap. Nice.

Acrylic mold- I had to put this mold in the freezer for a few minutes but it released the soap easily. You can see how it is much more like a commercial bar of soap.

18 bars of actual soap!!

The bars on the right are from the silicone bread pan mold. Nice big soaps which I will use again when I want to add a top layer of fancy stuff. The bars on the left are from the acrylic mold which is much more uniform. I still like the big chunky ones better. This was a 3.5 pound batch of soap and it made 10 large and 8 small bars. If you ever get into making soap, you'll see how batch size and molds are somewhat confusing.

This soap will sit and cure for 4-6 weeks. In that time, the pH goes to the proper place so you can use it on your skin. The water evaporates and the bar becomes hard and usable. I have a curing room set up in my house.

This recipe consists of olive oil, coconut oil, and palm oil with rose hip jasmine fragrance. It's simple and a beginner recipe, but if you find a good base recipe, there is no end to what you can do with it. It's like a really great cookie dough.

Now what am I going to use these very plain bars of soap for? I will use them for sure, but I can also do something called re-batching where you shred it and use in another soap. I can't wait to use color and additives. I just had to get the process down first. Now I am moving on to something much more creative... hopefully. Can't wait!

3 comments:

  1. YAY! Congratulations! I can't wait to try them......hint, hint :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It smells so good. I am in over my head looking at what I want to order for my next few batches. Definitely COLOR! This color is not bad if I could just add some things like little rose petals or something like that. It's endless!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great Angie!!!! Save me some! Yeay!

    ReplyDelete