Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Eye of the Tiger. Roar!




What I learned today; I am NOT a soap cutter. My husband bought me a mitre box to help me cut my soap straight. He is a detail man about things like that. My last batch drove him crazy because it was crooked. There is not a single detail thing about me. I deem my husband and his O.C.D., the official cutter of the soap, forthwith! (The mitre box didn't help me at all.)

I did not swirl deeply enough. My swirl stayed mostly on the top of the bar. Perhaps I had more time to swirl than I thought I did, but live and learn.

Try to ignore how crooked this bar of soap is. 
Thanks. ;)                 


I cut the top 1/4 inch off the top because the swirl was prettier underneath. I can use the scraps for rebatching, where you shred the cured soap into something you can use in a future batch.

But I am not unhappy with my result. It's not what I was expecting or even trying for, but I like it.

I also wanted to show you the difference in the color after 24 hours. See what I mean? You can't tell anything about your soap until it sits. It may change even more in the next few weeks.

Look at all the crooked bars. Various sizes and shapes. So pretty. (Hey, perfection is in the eye of the beholder!) 

 
If I was going to name this soap, I'd call it, Eye of the Tiger. The color is hard to see because I have not mastered the art of the blog photo, but it is a pale sort of rusted orange with very pretty copper-ish swirls. The smell is a very subtle citrus and I don't notice that the paprika or cocoa powder added much to the scent at all, but as the soap cures, that too can change.

I wonder if I have time to get one more batch in before I leave town?!?! Maybe I will master the mitre box by then. Eh, probably not.

No comments:

Post a Comment