Monday, July 18, 2011

Chocolate Citrus Swirl

Today I decided to try my hand at the swirl! I wanted to work with what I have at home because I am getting ready to go see this little man...

Liam Garrad Alexander

and I didn't want an order of base oils and essential fragrances sitting on my doorstep in the heat all weekend.

I had 6 oils and some citrus fragrance left over from previous batches, but I REALLY wanted to try something with COLOR! Who knew that paprika and cocoa powder work wonderfully?!  In this batch, I colored my base soap with paprika and swirled in my cocoa powder. In order to use the paprika for color, I mixed 1 Tbls. of paprika with 1 Tbls. of olive oil BEFORE I added it to the rest of the batch to keep it from clumping. I mixed 2 cups of uncolored soap with 2 Tsp. of cocoa powder and reserved it for the swirl.  


I am learning to pour the soap evenly into the pans. It begins to gel right away and I still forget and usually find I don't have enough time to even it out in the pans. This is especially true when you want to swirl, because you have to work quickly to get the second color into the base.


I used a bizarre piece of a plastic I found in my junk drawer; a handle to something but I have no idea what, to drag through the soap to make the swirl. That was the fun part!


I am quite happy with the colors. Granted, it's more of a fall /Halloween/ Thanksgiving combination, but as I said, I was working with what I had at the moment. I added citrus fragrance oil because I was kind of going for a chocolate orange thing. I will have to wait to see what kind of smell develops. I almost wish I hadn't added the fragrance at all. The smell was interesting and kind of like honey when I added the chocolate swirl, but you can't judge the scent of the soap before it cures. It changes dramatically.

Tomorrow let's cut it and see if the swirl was successful! Cutting the soap after 24 hours is like opening a present and you never know what you're gonna get!


No comments:

Post a Comment